Thursday, February 26, 2009

Slowly drowning by paper...

Ever feel like you are going no where fast? Never catch up? Finish one thing but then you realize you have 50 million other things to finish before you even begin to relax? That is how I am feeling!!! It is no fun. I think if I were to stack all the papers up that I need to grade the pile would probably be as tall as the Statue of Liberty. I am swamped...I am doggy paddling but about to drown by paper. We would grade the papers in class but then we run short on time with the lesson, and we are already throwing information at them and us math teachers are just hoping they have a big glove to catch it all. Everyday we learn a new lesson and if you didn't understand it, tough luck because we have to go on to the next lesson or we will be behind and not cover everything needed for the stupid TAKS test. OUR reputation rides on that one stupid test and if our kids fail...it's OUR fault.

This is how a typical day in my class goes...I stand outside my door with a try to be friendly looking face and greet the kids and hand them a warm-up that they complain about the whole time and I try to give them about 5 minutes to do it, but they complain about it the whole time they don't finish it but I have to go over it and not give them more time because we really need to start covering fractions, percents, and decimals...because they will never get it and I need as much time as possible. So most of the students might have 1 out of the 3 done and normally it's the easiest, shortest one. We started putting questions on there that make them explain things...we can just throw that out the door because they just wait for me to do it and answer it. Then I tell them to put that aside. I pass out a worksheet, explain the key point, do a few examples, and then tell them to do the rest. HA! Yeah right!!! Then I here "I need help" "I don't get this" "I'm not doing it" "What does this mean?" By time I try to explain it again, the bell rings and off they RUN out to the next class while I am yelling that they have to finish it for homework...which they don't finish but it's their grade...not mine.

We have no time for anything anymore and I am so behind on grading. We don't have time to grade in class because that takes 5 minutes but we can't afford to lose 5 minutes.

Anyways...I am just so glad today is Friday and I can come home and somewhat rest. I am so beat and I just need to rest...I wanted to do something fun tonight but I really need to just stay home and relax because from here on out for a while I will be going non-stop. Tomorrow I can sleep in till whenever I want to. Thomas better be ready to sleep late, which he never does or he better not wake me up. :) Then we have Jolyn's wedding Saturday and we are getting a hotel room up there so we won't have to worry about driving back Saturday night. I am excited about this weekend and ready for some rest.

No comments: